, 2022-12-17 11:41:00,
Bitcoin‘s (BTC -1.02%) price hit an all-time high of $67,567 last November. But today it trades at about $18,000. The world’s top cryptocurrency lost its luster as inflation, rising interest rates, and other macro headwinds drove investors away from riskier investments.
That decline also crushed many Bitcoin-related stocks. Coinbase (COIN -3.63%), one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, and Marathon Digital (MARA -10.60%), one of the market’s top Bitcoin mining companies, both shed more than 80% of their value this year. Should investors buy either of these beaten-down stocks as a turnaround play?
Two different approaches to the Bitcoin market
Coinbase’s cryptocurrency exchange served 8.5 million monthly transacting users (MTUs) in the third quarter of 2022. That represented a steep drop from its peak of 11.2 million MTUs in the fourth quarter of 2021.
It generates most of its revenue from transaction fees. Institutional investors accounted for 84% of its trading volume in the third quarter, while the remaining 16% came from retail investors. It provides access to a wide range of cryptocurrencies, but Bitcoin and Ether (ETH -2.10%) accounted for 31% and 33%, respectively, of its total trading volumes in its latest quarter. The remaining 36% came from other types of crypto assets.
Marathon owns a fleet of about 69,000 active ASIC miners, but it actually missed its original target of bringing 133,000 miners online by the middle of…
To read the original article from news.google.com Click here